Sunday 25 April 2010

A Life Too Long

Today's P&L: GBP 0.00

Today's Booze: 2 Pints of Aspinalls Cider

Today's Soundtrack: The Waterboys

Have only been dabbling in trading recently, a bad move. To trade you have to stay informed but I have just had other things on my mind. Since I last posted, Greece has accepted the inevitable and decided its car-crash economy needs aid and, surprise, surprise, someone has suggested that Goldman Sachs sometimes acts fraudulently. Both of these events had a sickening certainty that makes me want to shake the people who doubted them. Anyone who has found themselves as one of Goldmans lower tier customers and finished a trade wondering what happened to their shirts knows what I mean. I don't mind Goldmans sharp practices, back in the nineties Citi used to be the same in the foreign exchange markets, but the arrogance is annoying. As for Greece, well I suppose putting a bail-out plan into place is much the same as carrying a gun. Don't do it unless you are prepared to use it. For what its worth I remain pessimistic over the long-term future of the Euro, despite it strengthening on the rescue plan. I see EUR/USD dropping to about 1.20 in the next year.

My leg is still troubling me and continues to weep, the quacks, (who I am rapidly losing faith in), say it is normal in such a large wound. As for my enormous belly, i had a few x-rays and tests and the ineffectual doctors just said it is a build up of fluid caused be me not taking some medication and it may need drained soon, sounds like more fun for a hospital phobe like me.

The soundtrack today was The Waterboys, one of my favourite bands, or maybe I am just drawn to Mike Scott and his blend of madness and genius.

Too Close To Heaven - Twelve and a half minutes of genius. "All your trouble will be over, so will your pain, you are gonna see those blue skies bursting right through the rain, The higher you climb, the lower you fall,You got too close to heaven, that's all". When I met the Stalker again at the beginning of last year, I didn't know if I should do it. I know she had been through some rough times during her cancer treatment, but I was nervous, (not a feeling I am used too), because I knew she expected me to be the same as I was eighteen years ago. It sounds stupid but people have the expectation I never change. She was bound to be disappointed and she said after a few large Tequilas that I had lost the look in my eyes that made me different from everyone else. I think about that when I hear this song.

Love That Kills - I think I have been in love, you know that heart-stopping bolt from the blue kind of love that transcends affection. I guess you only really know it when it happens to you.

Good Man Gone - A weary song, the kind you listen too when you are just about ready to give up. I have that feeling more than I should. "My eyes are like two troopers in a foxhole. I'm doing things I used to know were wrong. I've hurt all my friends
and I'll do it again. Lord, where's the good man gone"?

The Whole Of The Moon - The crowd-pleaser. This is the song that the record company wanted Mike Scott to write over and over again. He is not a man to pander to popular opinion. I love this song because it contrasts the view of someone with their feet firmly on the ground with that of someone who is truly living. "I spoke about wings
you just flew, I wondered, I guessed, and I tried, you just knew. I sighed but you swooned". "I was grounded, while you filled the skies, I was dumbfounded by truth, you cut through lies. I saw the rain-dirty valley, you saw Brigadoon, I saw the crescent, you saw the whole of the moon"!

Rags - Seems like no matter how much I try I always end up hurting someone.


In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Toni! Glad to see you back here ;-) Hope your leg continues to heal. It sounds like it's a slow process and I'm sure it's maddening. I enjoyed your lyrics, as always. About the look in your eyes, I'm sure it's still there. I'm not trying to make you feel better, but after a few tequilas everyone's eyes look a little different ;-)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni,
Nice to hear from you! Glad you are on the mend - keep up with the seaweed- seems to be good stuff. Would love to hear your take on the British election. Dave seems a bit of a nightmare but at least you haven't got Berlusconi to contend with...
All good wishes,
Euro Anon

Anonymous said...

Blogs ARE all about yourself, how can they not be...

...however...I have a feeling you are holding on to yourself in a younger state too much.

We ALL age, no-one can be 21 forever.

I thought when I first read your blog and I'll think it again that you remind me of a guy (who I read on another site) who did almost exactly the same things, then ended up lecturing at a London uni about finance and married a lovely girl. Think he's in his 50s now though he's done loads of drugs, alc, loves cats and art and everything inbetween.

Seriously if you two don't know each other you should. He's in London now.

Little Miss Angry said...

'I had lost the look in my eyes that made me different from everyone else'

don't beat yourself up for not being the same. nobody is. and i really think nobody's eyes ever stays the same either. it betrays everything we experience in life from love and happiness to all the disappointments and disillusionments. so how could anyone possibly expect it to stay the same?