Thursday 19 August 2010

Don't Stand So Close To Me

Yesterdays P&L: GBP 150.00

Yesterdays Booze: 1 litre of Russian Standard Vodka

Yesterdays Soundtrack: The Police

Well that was good, The Stalker is back from her experimental cancer therapy and her first act...Go out with a friend and get smashed, she promptly got arrested after going all Bruce Lee on some black dude that kissed her coming out of the toilets, (she is a black belt at Karate and a gold belt at some other madcap martial art). I thought I was supposed to be the irresponsible one, I am feeling kind of left out. Anyway the guy didn't want to press charges - he was an American and probably didn't want to admit he got his ass kicked by a five foot eight inch Asian girl. I should be angry but I can't help but be impressed that she took on some big guy and his two friends, reminds me of my youth! She was feeling very sorry for herself the next day because she lost her wallet which always seems to have a load of cash in it and her Mont Blanc pen, but she has brightened up since then and seems as likely to cause trouble as before. I am beginning to suspect there is something she hasn't told me about the treatment she had abroad because she certainly has adopted my nihilistic approach to life.

Trading is as difficult as can be. Volatility is high because volumes are so low. Its all right for these fools on a guaranteed salary to take the summer off but I need to earn some money. Still squeezed a few quid out of a long position on the FTSE 100. Not because I have any faith in the market but just a short-term in and out trade at ten pounds per point. I missed my chance to benefit from the strengthening of the Yen, but all is not lost if it breaks through eighty five there is no real support until seventy six.

Yesterday I was listening to The Police, my top five songs:

Every Breath you take - forget the crap p diddy version, the original was a magnificent study in obsession. Anyone who has had a partner who won't accept its over knows what I am talking about. The moody black and white video adds to the sombre feeling. Predictably, it reminds me of the lunatic and her pleas for me to come back. I remember walking through the local airport thinking she knows anyone who counts in this town they will all tell her I have high tailed it out of here.

Wrapped around Your Finger - Ok we all know Sting is right up his own arse and the references to Scylla and Charybdis is a bit much for a pop song but underneath all that its a great track. All relationships have a dynamic to them - how could it be otherwise? I know the Stalker is rebelling just because its what I have always done and maybe her time is short so she wants to have a little zing, but she has a long way to go.

Message In A Bottle - This one is just for me, perhaps it is the reflection of the solution I seek in the bottom of a bottle. More likely the song stands out as a lonely man seeking some kind of redemption. "Just a castaway, an island lost at sea, oh. Another lonely day, with no one here but me, oh. More loneliness than any man could bear. Rescue me before I fall into despair, oh".

Can't Stand Losing You - Classic teenage angst. I was never like this as a child, didn't have the time. But that whole "You'll be sorry when I'm dead and all this guilt will be on your head", is just so typical of love struck teenagers. It's laughable to us now but don't we all remember when dating someone seemed more important than life or death.

Don't Stand So Close to Me - I must be the only person who prefers the eighty six remix to the original, but once again I feel the slowed down tempo gives the song that creepy obsession feeling it deserves. Of course Sting can't restrain himself from tossing in a reference to Lolita but this song really points to how strong the emerging sexuality of women is.


In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOL'd when you bashed the P. Diddy version.

You have a very interesting blog, Toni.

~Snaf

Unknown said...

Hey Toni!
Enjoyed your music today. Glad to hear your girl's kicking ass. Have a wonderful weekend!
xoxo

Little Miss Angry said...

lol, the first paragraph made me laugh. stalker sounds... charming ;)