Tuesday 18 December 2007

Why blog?

Yesterdays P&L: GBP192.00
Yesterdays booze: 750ml of Vodka, 1 litre of Artois, 1 litre of cider


Why do people blog? I guess people have a need to reveal their opinions to others, I mean it isn't quite the same as keeping a secret diary is it. Perhaps there is a new generation of wannabe writers who have recognized that this may be the quickest way, (possibly the only way), their writings are going to be introduced to others. Certainly it seems that the media companies and the distributors need content no matter how poor.

Many bloggers seem reluctant to accept comments that disagree with their opinions, in fact I read one blog from an Asian woman who complained about comments that she felt were contrary or hurtful. She compared her blog to a shop offering free products and seemed to feel that it was rude and wrong to criticise her on that basis. She was, of course, wrong as all she is doing is expressing her opinions and if you offer your opinions in a public place well then you have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you and some people might pour scorn on you. Most bloggers seem to adopt the practice of not posting comments that annoy them or dismissing them as "trolls", (whatever that means), just like the drunk in the bar that refuses to listen to any other viewpoints or the child that sticks his fingers in his ears when he doesn't hear what he wants.

So why should I start a blog? I have never been one to collect memories, in fact despite being well-travelled, photographs and keep-sakes are conspicuously absent from my life. I never really felt I had a great deal to say, although I have recently taken a great deal of pleasure commenting, (and no-doubt annoying), other people on their blogs. I suppose the simple answer is I have far too much time on my hands right now and at least it will let me keep track of my manic drinking and my tragic trading activities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool. "Manic drinking and tragic trading activities." I like it.