Tuesday 26 January 2010

All My Troubles Seemed So Far Away

Yesterdays P&L: GBP 200.00

Yesterdays Booze: Not a thing

Yesterdays Soundtrack: The Beatles


Still no booze! If Keith Richards can give it up for a few months then so can I. Still not concentrating on trading properly, which pisses me off to no end as when I don't have any money on it my initial assumptions are generally right. I had a pretty good idea that Apple were going to do well and drag along the rest of the market. Apple seems to be able to do no wrong right now, which is curious as they generally supply a high-end segment in the market and the current recession should have favoured the lower end. Apple are quite a brand. I mainly use pc computers for working on but have owned a number of macintosh computers in the past and of course I have my Apple ipod touch. They seem to have made paying over the odds satisfying, like German automobiles. Products like this make you feel good even if you know you could get the same basic product cheaper. Its like my Montblanc pen or Patek Phillipe watch. I imagine its how women feel when they spend a lot of money on shoes or handbags or when someone gives them a gift from Tiffany. Anyway, I shall probably buy a new Apple computer when I have some more disposable income and just use it for something like music or video or something else I fancy myself doing in the future - a true vanity purchase.

Today I have been listening to lots of different music but mostly the Beatles, it really is an apple themed day. I suppose everyone likes the Beatles. but even people as old as me can't really appreciate the impact they must have had in the sixties. My father makes it out like the Beatles would release a record which would be number one until they released a new record which would take over. I knew they were huge but they couldn't have been that dominant. Anyway, my top five Beatles records:

Eleanor Rigby - An impossibly good song, perfect for those who feel isolated, first time I heard it was watching Yellow Submarine when I was a child. "All the lonely people, Where do they all belong"?

Penny Lane - For me this is a feel good song, although someone once told me that Penny Lane actually used to be the site of a slave market in Liverpool. I was at a Paul McCartney concert when he sang this and he seemed so ebullient when he sang "Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes" the crowd went nuts. But what is "Four of fish and finger pies"?

Paperback Writer - Ambitious song. A young man on the make, who wouldn't want to be a writer? You have to love the verse that goes;
"It's the dirty story of a dirty man
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son is working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer, Paperback writer."

Help - What a surprise, someone like me loving a song like this, actually if I am honest I prefer the stilted cover version Tina did on her Private Dancer album."When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured"

Nowhere Man - This song appeals to me so much, I am not one of life's planners. I just tend to ricochet from situation to situation, seems like its always been that way.

7 comments:

Kitty Moore said...

Hooray to the zero consumption!

I loved 'Help' - went off it a bit when they used it as the theme tune to that awful sitcom 'Bread'.

Also quite keen on 'All You Need Is Love' - if only that were true!

I married Mark in Sri Lanka (more romantic than a registry office and parents still got big turkish wedding when we got back) and it was only when we got home and watched the video that we realised the soundtrack they had put over romantic footage of us walking along the beach was 'Yesterday'! Should have known then really...


Kitty x

Toni said...

Hi Kitty,

Don't remember Bread, but they must have paid through the nose to use a Beatles theme, (I have it on fairly good authority that Macca is not the most generous man in the world). I like All You Need is Love as well, its funny even though most of their songs are billed as Lennon-McCartney, you can pretty much guess who was the driving force behind each song.

I bet your Sri Lankan wedding was fabulous, I have always thought that was one of the most beautiful places ever. When I was trading emerging market bonds, I ran a basic program and estimated that if it hadn't been for the war Sri Lanka would have had over a decade of at least ten percent GDP growth, such a shame. By the way did you see that ruling that the British couple who had their house built in North Cyprus have to return the land to the original Greek owners? Next step will be all the Northern Turks claiming their original land in Southern Cyprus no doubt. Was the island very integrated prior to the partition?

Kitty Moore said...

I did see that ruling - did you hear about Mehmet Ali Talat's (TC President) response? He basically pointed out that as the turkish republic of northern cyprus is not recognised by any country int he world other than Turkey - that they, the turkish cypriots, do not recognise their law. Therefore that ruling is nothing other than symbolic.

Reminds me of when Asil Nadir fled to Northern Cyprus in the 90's whilst on bail for fraud. When asked to extradite him, Rauf Denktas responded with "but we don't exist" and Asil has been there ever since.

My parents still have their deeds to a substantial number of properties in the South - but they are not recognised as the owners because they left Cyprus post 1974.

I am going to stop now before I really get on my soap box!

And Sri Lanka was absolutely beautiful - we were there for three weeks.

Kitty x

Kitty Moore said...

Sorry - went off on a rant and didn't answer your question. Cyprus was fairly integrated, my parents village was mixed and my father speaks fluent Greek. He always taught me that the cypriots were happy to live alongside each other - he has since returned to Cyprus to our house in Episkobi and was warmly welcomed and even had dinner with the Greek Cypriot occupants.

Kitty x

Unknown said...

Wow Toni! I do love your taste in music. And you're kicking ass w/ the no booze.

I want an Apple ipod touch. I'm working on getting a second job so I can fly my little self to Barcelona sometime. Maybe I'll buy me an ipod too.

xoxo

Toni said...

lesinfin,

Thanks for the compliment, but I assure you I have some dodgy taste as well. At any given moment I could go into an eighties frenzy. That is the music that I listened to when I was in a teenager and in a band. I can't recommend the ipod touch enough - I love it just wish it had more than thirty two gig though.

Miss OverThinker said...

I was just reading your old posts that I had missed out on over the last month - yes that's what I do, read people's blog at work - infact they pay me to do that.. all I wanted to say was that I am very happy to see the no booze day. Keep it up!