Saturday 16 January 2010

Bad News

Yesterdays P&L: GBP-1,100

Yesterdays Booze: 8 glasses of wine, 4 pints of Stella Artois

Yesterdays soundtrack: Depeche Mode


Bad day on the markets for me. The US data was good, Industrial production in America was up, Empire manufacturing up and the corporate data was much better than expected overnight Intel had good numbers and JP Morgan earned bucket loads of money. So the US stock market should have jumped and dragged the European indexes with it. So why did I get nailed on a ten pounds per point spread trade on the DAX 30? Who can tell?

Anyway, I left my beloved screens early, for all those who wonder why I am online so much I sit here with five monitors scorching my retinas, to go and have dinner with my brother and his wife and the stalker. We went to some trendy quasi-Chinese place in Soho. Dim Sum at nine o'clock, the stalker was outraged! That also explains why I drank more than I should have. I didn't drink any booze until I met them. The stalker was in fine form although, very pissed - she had had some bad news her billionaire admirer died and some sick children she looks after died on the same day, so all in all a bad day for her. She handles tragedy much better than I do. Like all good drunks, I am one sad song away from crying in my beer.

While I was at home I was listening to Depeche Mode, another of my favourite bands and one I have seen go from synth pop eighties goodness to stadium rock histrionics, kind of like my personal life. I have seen them live four times and they always put on a good show. My top five Mode tracks:

Personal Jesus - Forget the lame Marylin Manson cover, this is the best, "Feeling unknown and your all alone, Flesh and blood by the telephone, lift up the receiver, I'll make you a believer". this is supposed to be written about television evangelists, but it could just as easily be telephone chatlines or internet dating.

Its No Good - The most depressing song in the world, but with the casual arrogance of an aging Lothario. "Don't say you want me, Don't say you need me, Don't say you love me, It's understood. Don't say your happy, Out there without me, I know you can't be, Cause it's no good".

Clean - A forgotten track, probably about David Gahan and his struggles with addiction but when I hear it, I think of a guy in a padded cell, wearing a straight jacket, his body covered in cuts, screaming "get them off me" as he sees some invisible insects crawling all over him.

Shake The Disease - The first Depeche Mode record I ever brought. "Some people have to be permanently together, True lovers devoted to each other forever, Now I've got things to do, And I've said before that I know you have too, When I'm not there, In spirit I'll be there". Brilliant song, even when you love someone you don't have to be with them all the time.

See You - Early Depeche Mode very pop but even back then there was a dark undertone. When I hear this song, I don't think of a love struck teenager but an obsessive predator with a restraining order and a collection of photographs of the object of his desires.

7 comments:

Poetry of Flesh said...

I have "Stripped/Breathing In Fumes" set as my ringtone. The five songs you chose are significantly not on my top five DM list. Wonder if that's a culture gap, a generation gap, or simply different ears.

Toni said...

Poetry,
Stripped nearly made my list as did Little Fifteen. Could be just different ears. All the songs I picked were singles apart from Clean, I like to think my interpretation of the meaning behind the songs is different to what was intended. Depeche Mode are odd in that they have grown significantly in popularity as there music became more challenging. They are unlikely to ever reach the popularity of Music For The Masses / Violator again. I remember once when I was on the Lam from the lunatic ex, I flew back to the UK and crashed at my brothers house for a few weeks. I was listening to It's No Good repeatedly when he came into the room I was staying in and asked me "Did your ex try and kill herself because you made her listen to this fucking song all the time"? Out of interest what five songs would be on your list?

Kitty Moore said...

My top five:

1. I Want It All.
2. Walking In My Shoes
3. Damaged People
4. Policy Of Truth
5. Shine

Toni said...

Good choices Kitty, I Want It All is quite beautiful. Walking In My Shoes is a song that I think of when I am at my lowest ebb in a bar, something about that line "Keep the same appointments I kept". Policy Of Truth reminds me of when I was slung in the slammer in Laos. Getting my feet beaten with Rattan pretty much convinced me I have no masochistic tendencies.

Poetry of Flesh said...

I think the major difference between our song choices is that I go clubbing a lot, love to dance, and songs like Little Fifteen are miserable things for me that I just can't get my groove on to.

In no particular order:

-Stripped
-Never Let Me Down Again
-Enjoy the Silence
-It's No Good
-Fly On The Windscreen

But definitioned Stripped and Never Let Me are my top two to dance to. Good, solid beat, and enough sway to keep my hips happy.

I do love your It's No Good story. That's fantastic. Your brother sounds wonderful.

Jenny DB said...

So I left you a response on my post. You REALLY need to get your no-reply blogger email address fixed so I can respond to your comments directly.. unless you have it that way on purpose. But if it's not on purpose, here is how to change it: http://kiwisandcocktails.blogspot.com/2009/12/read-this-no-reply-email-people.html

Toni said...

Also good choices Poetry. My dancing days are long behind me. After breaking my ankles twenty eight times, (seventeen on the right and eleven on the left), I have perfected a dance where I quick step to the bar and drink it dry. Enjoy The Silence is a riveting song and was absolutely huge here and in Europe. On the World Violation tour I saw them play at Crystal Palace and I think this is where Dave Gahan stage dived into the audience. Never Let Me Down Again is strangely hypnotic to me, that and Strangelove are definite stand out tracks.