Tuesday 6 July 2010

Roll The Bones

Today's P&L: GBP 190.00

Today's Booze: 1 litre of Stolychnaya, 2 pints of lager

Today's Soundtrack: Prince

I know in an earlier post I complained about the nature of how I make my money, likening it to prostitution or lap dancing, I still stand by that. It isn't what was expected of someone like me. But I did a small trade today, nothing huge, just made me one hundred and thirty pounds on the December gold contract and I realised how much fun it can be. The other trades I did are still open, as a rule I hate leaving a trade open overnight because the financing cost are so high and also anything could happen, still added another sixty pounds to the gold trade. My father thinks that it isn't a real job, but he also says that if I had lived in America in the nineteenth century, I would probably be a poker player for a living - my dad loves westerns. Needless to say the Stalker can't stand what I do, but if you start doing what your girlfriend/wife asks I guess you might as well hand in your balls. Anyway, I have never done anything else and I guess I am too old to dust off the microphone and become a rock legend.

Today I feel quite good, apart the usual aches and pains from my shattered ankles and knees and my fingers which are generally fine apart from the two smallest ones on my left hand where the knuckles were badly broken. Days like this I feel I could live forever. My sleeping is not so good, I am finding it incredibly hard to sleep at all. I wonder why I can't do anything constructive in this time when I should be sleeping, I was much more productive when I was really drinking.

Today I was listening to Prince. Prince is a genius but also mad as can be. As a multi-instrumentalist maybe only Stevie Winwood comes close but he isn't as good a guitarist and doesn't have that funky mix, that my guitarist once described to me as chicken fat. The top five songs I listened to:

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man - Love this song, women on the hunt for someone to take the place of their departed lover and father of their child. Some men don't mind being father figure to another mans children but to me it is too difficult a situation. Generally I don't agree with divorce unless there is violence involved - but really how hard is it for a guy not to get married or get a girl pregnant?

Lady Cab Driver - Misogynistic rape song. There is something compelling about this track though, the end section is actually quite disturbing, "This is 4 the cab U have 2 drive 4 no money at all. This is 4 why I wasn't born like my brother, handsome and tall. This is 4 politicians who r bored and believe in war. This -- Yeah, that's 4 me, that's who that 1's 4. This is 4 discrimination and egotists who think supreme. And this is 4 whoever taught U how 2 kiss in designer jeans. That 1's 4-- That 1's 4-- 4 U have 2 live" For me the best line is at the beginning, "Lady cab driver -- Can U take me 4 a ride? Don't know where I'm goin' 'cuz I don't know where I've been".

Purple Rain - Who can forget how big Prince was when this album was released? The song itself is kind of mesmerising. "Never meant to cause you any sorrow. I never meant to cause you any pain. I only wanted to one time see you laughing.I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain". Maybe its the time it was released bu this song reminds me of the Italian.

Little Red Corvette - My favourite Prince track. Not sure why, I have never felt intimidated by a woman, guess it's that whole cars and girls thing. Corvettes aren't very cool, (unless you get a fifties one), but neither are Porsche's and I loved mine when I had it. Like everything I love, I destroyed it. The best thing about this song is the imagery, "I guess I must be dumb 'cos you had a pocket full of horses, Trojan and some were used, but it was Saturday night. I guess that makes it all right, what have you got to lose". As i hope my blog makes it pretty clear, I have taken a few chances in my life. I have still missed out on somethings by not saying yes. I regret all those missed chances.

Uneedanotherloverlike - This song is quite intense and when Prince performs it live he is amazing. The lyrics are not so clear but to me it means ok, our relationship is done but you can't be with anyone else and if you are then you will still be thinking of me because you are always mine.


In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

3 comments:

Dark Lochnagar said...

Toni, I've been drinking a litre of Vodka a day for the last 30 years or so. I'm off the drink for 3 years, apart from a couple of glases of wine or such shite, once every 2 months or so. If you want to discuss any drink issues feel free to come across to my blog and leave an e-mail address. If you want to keep on drinking, that's your perogative, best of luck but remember it will harm your health, it did mine. I don't go in for all that AA shite, BTW!

Anonymous said...

Dear Toni,
Hope you are ok. You haven't blogged for a bit so just writing to say hi.
Anon/Euro Anon

Hills said...

Well, damn.

I thought I could pass this blog by without comment after the last post (Duren Duran makes me want to stab myself with a spoon), but then you had to go and mention Prince and I am officially smitten.

Loving the juxtaposition of booze, stock trading and eighties music - an intoxicating blend and a very good read indeed.

Muchas Gracias and well done you.

-B