Friday 23 October 2009

Storm Warning

Fridays P&L: GBP 485.00

Fridays Booze: 3 liters of some organic cider, 1 liter of red wine, 1 large Vodka on ice.

Another relatively pointless day. Spot cable, (GBP/USD), took a massive hit of 400 points because the recession in the UK isn't over as Germany, France and The US are making signs of recovering. In my opinion we are just being more honest. I took a beating on the foreign exchange futures I had but made a profit on a short position on the DAX.

Last night in the UK we had the head of the British National Party on the tv. He is, as you would expect, a loathsome character and he is supposed to be the friendly public face of his party but I have to admit he made some good points. I should hate this guy and all he stands for, after all I am nothing if not an internationalist and aside from my love of London as one of the truly great cities in the world I have no overwhelming attachment to the UK. I am aware, though of how some British people are feeling regarding the overwhelming immigration into the UK and worse, the insistence of certain groups to have their traditions and beliefs respected above those of their new country. While it is meaningless to me, I have lived in muslim countries, (only relatively secular ones), and have seen the friction that can be caused. I wouldn't really want that in Britain. I wonder why the UK is the target for so many immigrants, I mean in theory we are all part of Europe and the living standards in Germany and Sweden are much better than in the UK, so why the surge to Britain. I can only assume the benefits system here really is more advantageous. I wouldn't really know as I have never claimed benefits in my life but I have taken advantage of the health system. My concern is that the likes of the BNP cater to the dumbed down, me now generation.

Anyway, another weekend looms ahead, the recent cold weather pays havoc with my ankles and knees, I mean I am still mobile, but after all those fractures there is bound to be some residual pain - the most irritating is in my right knee which feels like a burning spike deep inside the knee cap. There is no way to relieve this, you can't scratch it like an itch you just have to learn to ignore it. That was a lot easier when I was drinking 2 or more liters of vodka a day. Anyway enough of feeling sorry for myself. Lets just hope next week is better.

No comments: