Wednesday 26 May 2010

Better Be Good To Me

Today's P&L: GBP 270.00

Today's Booze: Two two litre bottles of dry cider

Today's Soundtrack: Tina Turner

There was money to be made today but not much, The futures had priced so much in, it may have been a better day to go and drink a bottle of good wine by the river. I made a few pounds shorting the DOW30 contract and lost a bit by getting into sell trade on the Euro when it was really at the bottom of the market.

My mother gave me her going away lecture today. She is quite a serious Christian and thinks I am wrestling with my internal demons. She wants to save me and doesn't accept I may be beyond saving. My mother has had a good life and she is no fool so she knows the temptations I have had, after all she and I drank together in a few bars when I was a thirteen year old. She does however, have a sense of self-preservation and she finds it hard to understand why I enjoy dicing with death so much. I have tried to explain to her that you never feel more alive than when death is wrapping its coils around you. Maybe its a male/female thing. My father just belives I need to take it easy for a while and then if I still need to be reckless, my body will be ready for it.

Today I was listening to Tina Turner, Everyone loves Tina - older than your grandmother but still rocking. The top five on my playlist:

Private Dancer - This song could have been in my post about jobs that you do. It's not against the law, but you still feel a little dirty at the end of every day. Apparently this was written by Mark Knopfler and he contributed it to Tina Turner's come back album in the eighties. For me the lyric that counts is the laid back disappointed way she sings "I want to make a million dollars, I want to live out by the sea, have a husband and some children, yeah, I guess I want a family". Dirty work is what we do when we have no other options.

Steel Claw - Another song from Private Dancer, the story of a girl in South American dictatorship who gave herself up for a little of the good life. This is almost as good as the Stones' Undercover Of The Night. For some reason reminds me of drinking in Puerto Cristobel,(Panama - I think), when I was about seventeen.

I Can't Stand The Rain - The sequenced background to this song drives me crazy. It is a very steamy song. Makes me think of sweat on a girls back as you make love.

Nutbush City Limits - Before she was Tina, she was an ordinary girl from a very small town, "On Highway number nineteen, the people keep the city clean". I am a city boy the idea of growing up in a small town seems attractive some times but I know it would drive me crazy after about five minutes.

Let's Stay Together - Ok, it will never be as good as the Reverend Al Green. But Tina sings this with some real passion, you can tell this is a woman who knows how to love and how to be loved.

In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh Toni, I LOVE Tina! It's the passion in her voice that gets me. It's been a while since I listened to her--you've just inspired me to dig her out.
xoxo