Monday 31 May 2010

Did You Cook My Rabbit?

Today's P&L: GBP 90.00 - doesn't anyone work any more?

Today's Booze: Nothing

Today's Soundtrack: Dire Straits, (again)!

So, it didn't take long for us to find out the true colours of our new leadership. Laws, (supposedly smart as can be), seemingly wasn't smart enough to realise that giving forty thousand pounds to his gay lover might be viewed negatively after the expense account fiasco. What are they teaching them in Cambridge these days? He used to run the fx business at BZW in my day, but that was back in the days when the investment banking arm of Barclays was considered a bad joke. They used to have their offices in a converted multi-story car park, it may have been on London Bridge, but no matter how hard you squinted it still looked like a car park. I suppose I should have some sympathy for his struggles as a homosexual Catholic, but to be honest I don't. A lot of the press is making much of the fact that he struggled with his sexuality and weeping crocodile tears on his behalf. If he had been straight the same people would be much more hostile.

I was watching some movies today, whilst I don't watch much tv, I am easily transfixed by the movies. I watched Local Hero, this is another movie that I am kind of obsessed with and is stored on my hard drives. I am not sure why I love this move, it presents a view of Scotland that I don't know but wish I did. The small town contrasts with the American oil executives lifestyle so much. And, of course, the setting is beautiful. When the American, Mac, is leaving Houston, he is trying to find someone to go on a farewell drink with - nobody has time for him, I have been in this situation so many times. But the part that kills me is when he returns to his apartment and looks out the window, he places the shells he has collected from the beach as Going Home by Mark Knopfler plays. As most markets are closed today, I shall probably waste my time watching more movies tonight. Collateral will probably get a viewing as I usually only sleep three hours.

More bad news on the health front, just discovered a swelling on the shin of my right leg, it maybe I just banged it but it looks ominously similar to what happened before. If it is, it means I will lose the leg. The doctors said it was touch and go when I lost most of my calf and there simply isn't enough tissue left to do anymore grafts. I can't believe my body is letting me down this way.

Today I was listening to Dire Straits. The top five songs I listened to:

Private Investigations - Sleazy music noir. Does a rock band get any more cinematic?
"I go checking out the reports, digging up the dirt - You get to meet all sorts, in this line of work".

Espresso Love - Young love, just like espresso - quick, hot, strong and can burn you. Reminds me of long summer nights in the West End. Me and The stalker in Leicester Square in nineteen ninety two drinking tequila.

Sultans Of Swing - It's always the Sultans. A song that reminds me of what I dreamed about back when I didn't wake up in a sweat. The Stalker says I constantly moan and occasionally, scream in my sleep. Every time I hear this song I am amazed at the guitar playing, it isn't just his speed on the fretboard but his control of dynamics.

Tunnel Of Love - "Girl it looks so pretty to me, just like it always did. Like The Spanish City to me, When we were kids". I have never been to the North East but when I hear this song I imagine what the Spanish City amusement park looked like.

Love Over Gold - I know I talk about money a lot and there was a point in my life when it seemed important. Things have changed, maybe its my health or whatever but money isn't all that important. I would take Love over Gold any day, maybe one day I will find where they mine it.


In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In your own heart, love.
xoxo

Toni said...

You may be right lesinfin,

but a dime store version of love has always been easy to find. The reason I think about money is that I was a young child when a secure, comfortable life was taken away from me.