Wednesday 19 May 2010

It's A Dangerous World

Yesterdays P&L: GBP 1,570.93

Yesterdays Booze: Nothing

Yesterdays Soundtrack: Eurythmics

So, out of the hospital again. Got my body drained and lost forty two kilos, (that's forty two liters of fluid hidden in my body - too much even for me). The stalker has been in hospital as well. I can't help but feel bad about her illness. My ailments are mostly self-induced but she never asked for cancer - If I had the chance, I would gladly take her pain away from her and bear it myself.

A reasonable profit for once. Of course I benefited from my belief in the fragility of the Euro, but who could have guessed that Andrea Merkel would help me out by declaring a ban on naked short selling. Completely pointless of course because anyone that wants to short European bonds can do so in any number of territories. Short selling means you sell a security in anticipation of the price falling so you can buy it back cheaper. Naked means you don't already own the security while covered means you have the asset. If you don't own the security there is always the possibility that the price may go up and you will have to buy it or borrow it in the repo market. The actions going on in Germany indicate that the Euro is even more lame than I thought, there is a lot of talk about the Euro falling to parity with the dollar - It would not surprise me at all. In the wider world the situation in Thailand has also vindicated my concerns about that country. I lived in Thailand on and off for ten years so have a lot of emotional capital there. The situation may seem to be cooling down but this is a temporary break the social tensions there are too extreme. The question I am most concerned about is where is the King? He is the only man that can stop Thailand exploding If he is too frail to intervene or even worse then civil war is a very real possibility in Thailand.


Yesterday I was listening to Eurythmics, a classic eighties duo. Despite her tough androgynous image, I think of Annie Lennox as very fragile. The top five on my playlist were:

Who's That Girl? - A beautiful song, it may be sung from a female point of view but it applies equally to men. You know with women there is a time, when you realise you have been found out. The elaborate deception you put in place falls apart and she sees the puppets strings. "Your careless notions Have silenced these emotions, Look at all the foolishness Your lover's talk has done".

I've Tried Everything - The truth of life is no matter how much you think you've done, it is never enough.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Back then, in what seems like a lifetime away, I can't believe how naive I was. Everything seemed so innocent, now I look at the world through jaded eyes. Often I wish I still had faith in people.

It's Alright, (Baby's Coming Back) - This song reminds me of the lunatic girlfriend. After I left her, according to her staff she used to sit in her restaurant, waiting for me to walk in - then one day I strolled in, looking exactly the same. It was quite an emotional reunion. This song has a relentless driving feel to it that makes me think of airport lounges and lost loves.

You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Some great lines in this song, "Love is a temple, love is a shrine, buy some love at five and dime, a little bit of love from the counter store, get it on the credit if you need some more.
I'll be the figure of your disgrace, a criss cross pattern upon your face". Love is cheap sometimes but other times it can seem like the most valuable commodity in the world.

Other contenders were; Here Comes The Rain again, Missionary Man, When Tomorrow Comes and Love Is A Stranger.

In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Toni! Great music! I love Annie Lennox. There is something very alluring about her.

"The truth of life is no matter how much you think you've done, it is never enough." This line suits your profile.

xoxo

Little Miss Angry said...

you've been missing a while.

42kilos. ouch. hope you and stalker start feeling better soon. x

ps - i too am concern with whats happening in thailand. but why the king? the problem here is they brought in the military instead of talking it out. and the king, if i've read correctly endorses all military coups in the country or has in the past. not sure how he can be brought in to safe the day.

Toni said...

Hi lesinfin, you are spot on about Annie -although she is from the, (very), cold North city of Aberdeen, she has deep passions.

miss Angry, good to hear from you again, I am actually amazed how easy it was to disguise forty two kilos on my body. I am an old man now but I am still six foot four and my natural weight is about one hundred and two kilos. The stalker deals with her illness, she paid well over a million US for experimental cancer treatment and she is very brave, but I suffer from chronic bone pain, because of my osteonecrosis and I can tell she is suffering - I wish it wasn't so.

The Thai king is so important to that country. I was there in ninety two - last time they had tanks on the street and the king just told the army and the politicians that the problems were over and it was. If he is dead then there is no one to stop the festering inequalities in Thai society. Ask any Thai, and they won't even discuss the possibility of the King not being around.