Wednesday 26 May 2010

Through These Misty Eyes

Yesterdays P&L: GBP 310.00

Yesterdays Booze: Four pints of Stella Artois

Yesterdays Soundtrack: Rod Stewart

My parents are leaving tomorrow, I can almost feel the weight lifting of me. I know they don't mean to impose but they feels so cloying when they see me. it is as if they are trying to fit twenty five years of love into ten days. I should be grateful, but gratitude isn't one of my strong points. I suppose I feel a bit of a disappointment to them, when I was a child the expectations for me were very high. They had been told I would probably be an Oxbridge student before I was twelve, instead I was regularly drinking by then. Anyway, they will be on their way soon and I am sure I will miss them when they are gone - who knows when we will see each other again?

Still trading, despite the good weather here. I am not really someone who enjoys the daylight. Made some small money range-trading the Euro against the Dollar, still it all adds up.

Today I was listening to Rod Stewart, surely one of the most unlikely of superstars, but if you have ever seen him in concert you can attest to what a crowd pleaser he is. Some of his songs are so emotional and he can wring feeling out of a line like few others but I always get the feeling it is just a game to him. Somehow I imagine him smirking on the inside as he sings his most heartfelt lyrics. The top five on my playlist:

Every Beat Of My Heart - The song for every ex-pat Scot. Why is it the further you live from Scotland the more emotional about the place you feel? My father is certainly in no hurry to return to Scotland from his Spanish paradise.

I Don't Want To Talk About It - A beautiful song but again I have the nagging feeling that Rod doesn't really mean it

Young Turks - A song about freedom, breaking away from the restrictions placed upon you. For someone like me who had few, if any restrictions it is difficult to imagine what its like growing up to follow the rules.

Downtown Train - Originally a Tom Waits song, but Rod has a perfect voice for it. I love the idea of people trying to "break out of their little world". I always had bigger dreams than just being happy, I really thought I could be like Elvis but for some people just being happy is enough

You Wear It Well - I remember listening to this in a bar in some dead-end Thai town about twenty years ago, writing letters to a girlfriend. Some of which I even posted to her.

In case I don't see 'ya...good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Toni!
It's funny--there is something sneaky about Rod Stewart. Though I never noticed it before.

You say you "always had bigger dreams than just being happy..." Tell me them. I'm curious.

I guess because I'm one of them--"some people." ;-)

xoxo