Monday 1 February 2010

I Know When To Go Out, I know When To Stay In

Today's P&L: GBP 180.00

Today's Booze: Nothing

Today's Soundtrack: David Bowie


Another sketchy day for me in the markets, I slept in and missed the European market open. By the time I was ready to go the futures were already way above fair value. I couldn't really get into the day as I had to do things for other people,(I am not the most giving of people). On top of that they screwed up my appointment at the hospital, my appointment has been changed to April. Which means I will have to go clean for an extra two months. I had assumed that if I got the all clear I coul have a glass or two of wine or beer. Anyway, I made two small spreadbet trades on the FTSE100 and the DOW30, but completely missed a good entry point on the gold futures.

Sterling is up and down against the dollar as the British economy continues to be fragile and the buffon Cameron seems unable to build a decent majority and the election looks set to be the sixth of May. I suppose the British election is unlikely to gain as much attention as the American one, after all "UK elects smug, over-priviliged git" hardly has the same ring as "US elects first black President", does it?

Anyway, the music of choice today was Bowie, another heavy hitter, and almost impossible to pick just five songs but iTunes knows best and today my favourite David Bowie songs were:

Ashes To Ashes - A song I've always liked and a massive hit. In fact the whole Scary Monsters and Super Creeps album was brilliant. Perhaps this got the top spot today for the line "Time and again, I tell myself, I'll stay clean tonight". I remember watching the video on Top of the Pops.The scary clown costume, Major Tom, suspended in his space suit and Bowie in a padded cell.

This Is Not America - Bowie with Pat Metheny, quite beautiful, for me this song is about clash of cultures but also the expectations in life that are often unfulfilled.

Life On Mars - Absolute classic, "But the film is a saddening bore, because she's lived it ten times or more, she could spit in the eyes of fools, as they ask her to focus on..." The lyrics are madcap but you just feel what the song is about - I suppose its different for everyone.

Loving The Alien - Another song about the clash of cultures, Believe in the strangest thing, like loving the alien", I have been out with lots of women from different cultures, (Well, in most cases going out with is a bit generous, does it count if you have to stop "because were landing"). Strangely though, I have rarely felt uncomfortable in whatever environment and no matter how racist they were. I suppose white people just don't feel racism as much as other ethnic groups.

The Man Who Sold The World - "Years and years I roamed ,I gazed a gazely stare, At all The millions here. I must have died alone, A long long time ago.
Who knows, not me, I never lost control, You’re face, to face, With the man who sold the world". A nihilistic song, that reminds me of my crazier days.

The close contenders were Modern Love, Putting Out The Fire With Gasoline, Ziggy Stardust, Day In, Day Out and Jump, They Say.

4 comments:

Kitty Moore said...

The Man Who Sold The World does it for me every time.

Kitty x

Plentymorefishoutofwater said...

I like Ch ch ch ch changes. And Starman. The cheesy ones, basically. Oh, and All The Young Dudes - though Mott The Hoople did it better.

Check out my latest post - I finally bedded a girl. Sort of.
plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com

Toni said...

Kitty, the more you say the more I like you, I am beginning to envy your new man far too much.

Fish, Your blog is along with Kitties one of the funniest I have ever read, this new blog dating thing is classic. I am sure you are going to bag the babe, she seems very keen. Thanks for stopping by.

You know some blogs, and perhaps I am the most guilty of this, are just doom and gloom, you know talking about personal problems. I justify it because I don't have any other outlet for this kind of thing. In real life I would never admit to any of my feelings, apart from a measured, brooding nature, nobody would know about anything going on inside my head. It is blogs like Kitty's and Plentymorefish that remind you that the web doesn't have to be like some thirteen year old girls diary. There is some fun out there to be had. I just wish you would write more, by the way fishy do you blog on the radio station linked to your web and if so are podcasts available?

Anonymous said...

Toni, You're one of the good guys. Keep on trucking.